Thursday, April 23, 2009

6 Days and Counting....

So I have a little less than a week until the newest little nugget arrives. I am excited to meet him, and also a little scared about how everything is going to be in our house for the next few months. I am nervous about how the kids will adjust to having a new baby around, and sharing mommy with him.

It has been a bit of a rough week, and I think we are all going through an adjustment period right now anyway with Alex being gone all week. The kids have been asking for Daddy a lot, especially Noah. And I know it has to be hard on them to have only one stressed out parent everyday, day in and day out. I do have some help part-time everyday, but it is still only mommy during the morning rush out the door and the evening hours, when everyone is at the end our collective rope. Georgia's teacher has told me that she has been overly sensitive this week, having a lot of meltdowns and needing quite a bit of help to calm down. So I am feeling bad for them already, let alone throwing a new baby on top of all this in a week.

We have also had some illnesses this week. Noah has been battling an ear infection, that I am 99.9% certain has blown up again since finishing his antibiotics last Saturday. He is snotty, and cranky, and constantly playing with his one ear. So we go back to the pediatrician tomorrow to check them and see where to go from here. I have a feeling we might be back to the ENT to have tubes placed. He is allergic to penecillin and can only use a few antibiotics. Since his infections seem to resist the first line of defense, the doctors are nervous about him getting more infections which would require stronger antibiotics. So we shall have an answer in the morning.

Georgia developed croup on Sunday evening, or rather very early Monday morning. I woke up to a crying child with a cough that was the scariest, most disgusting thing I have ever heard. Neither of my children have ever had croup, so I had no idea what was going on. So we went to the pediatrician at 8:30 AM on Monday to get the diagnosis. And just like the doctor said, we have been up every night this week (so far) from around 3-4 AM with terrible coughing and crying. She has been sounding a little bit better everyday, so I am hoping that tonight we might sleep the whole night through. I am utterly exhausted after having been up off and on for about 4 hours every night for the past 4 days. I almost fell asleep at a traffic light this afternoon. It should be good practice for the baby, I know. But at least with the baby I should be able to get 2-3 hours sleep at a time. I can't deal with the constant waking, especially in those wonderful moments right before you really fall back asleep. It is such a tease.

So I am looking forward to the next few weeks. Alex is coming home tomorrow afternoon, and will be working from home for about two and half weeks. Hopefully the kids will be able to understand that Daddy is still working, even though he is at home. But he will be able to be there for bathtime and bedtime stories, which I think will make a huge difference. It will be a crazy few weeks, but enjoyable at the same time.

Now I need to finish cleaning, folding laundry, eat a little dinner, and go to bed. Maybe I can stick it out to finish Grey's Anatomy, but thank goodness for DVR.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Nic....It's almost time to welcome the new addition and for Alex to be home with you for a bit. I can't wait to meet the new guy too. So exciting!!